1) What is load testing?
Answer: Load testing is a kind of performance testing which determines a system’s performance under real-life load conditions. It can give an idea how an application behaves when multiple user simultaneously access the application.
2) What is Performance testing?
Answer: Performance testing involves testing software applications to ensure that the application performs under their expected workload. Main goal of performance testing is to eliminate performance bottlenecks and not to find bugs.
3) What are the components of LoadRunner?
- Vugen(Virtual User Generator):Vugen helps in creating scripts for single user, do the required enhancements to the script in a such a way that it can be run for multiple user.
- Controller: The purpose of Controller is to Run the load test and monitor the servers during load test execution
- Analysis: Anlyzer can be used to analyze the results and create graphs and reports.
4) What is a rendezvous point?
Rendezvous is used for achieving concurrency during load testing. Rendezvous point instruct vusers to wait during test execution for multiple vusers to arrive at a certain point, in order that they may simultaneously perform a task.
5)What is Ramp up? How do you set this?
Ramp up is used to gradually increase the amount of Vusers/load on the server. An initial value is set and a value to wait between intervals can be specified. To set Ramp Up, go to ‘Scenario Scheduling Options’
6)Types of Goals in Goal-Oriented Scenario
- The number of concurrent Vusers
- The number of hits per second
- The number of transactions per second
- The number of pages per minute
7) What kind of problem we can face regarding hardware, software, network and memory bottleneck during the performance test?
The possible issues amongst others could be –
- Lack of Hardware
- Memory Leakage
- Network related issues.
- Applicaton/Software error
8)What is the difference between hits/second and requests/second?
Hits per second means the number of hits the vserver receives in one sec from the vuser and the request per second is the no. of request the vuser will request from the server
9)What is the vuser in the scenario?
The vuser is virtual users nothing but those who simulate the real users.The virtual users who take the place of real users operating client software, such as IE sending requests using the HTTP protocol to IIS or Apache web servers
10)What are the advantages of using load runner?
- Uses ANSI C as the default programming language1 and other languages like Java and VB.
- Excellent monitoring and analysis interface where you can see reports in easy to understand colored charts and graphics.
- GUI generated script through a one click recording, of course you would need to modify the script according to your needs.
- Excellent tutorials, exhaustive documentation and active tool support from HP.
11)What are monitors?
Monitors are used to “monitor” performance bottlenecks. They are used in Controller section of Load Runner
12)What is the benefit of running a Vuser script as a thread?
- VuGen provides the facility to use multithreading.
- If the Vuser is run as a process, the same driver program is loaded into memory for each Vuser, thus taking up a large amount of memory. This limits the number of Vusers that can be run on a single generator
13)How many types of graphs are available in LoadRunner and what are they?
- Hits per second graph
- Pages download per second graph
- Transaction response time (under load) graph
- Transaction response time (percentile) graph and
- Network delay time graph
14)Which protocols are supported by Loadrunner ?
- Distributed Components: For COM/DCOM, Corba-Java, and Rmi -Java protocols.
- E-business: For FTP, LDAP, Palm, Web (HTTP/HTML), Web Services, and the dual Web/Winsocket protocols.
- Enterprise Java Beans: For EJB Testing and Rmi-Java protocols.
15)How many VUsers are required for load testing ?
The number of VUsers required depends on your system under test , network configurations , hardware settings, memory, operating system, software applications objective of performance test.
16)What is the difference between load , performance testing ?
Performance testing is the testing, which is performed, to ascertain how the components of a system are performing, given a particular situation.
Load testing is meant to test the system by constantly and steadily increasing the load on the system till the time it reaches the threshold limit.
17)How do you identify the performance bottlenecks?
Performance Bottlenecks can be detected by using monitors. These monitors might be application server monitors, web server monitors, database server monitors and network monitors. They help in finding out the troubled area in our scenario which causes increased response time
18) What is the difference between standard log and extended log?
The standard log sends a subset of functions and messages sent during script execution to a log. The subset depends on the Vuser type Extended log sends a detailed script execution messages to the output log. This is mainly used during debugging.
19) What are the three sections of a Vuser script and what is the purpose of each one?
vuser_init- a login to a serve
Actions- Used when recording client activity
vuser action-used when recording a log off procedure