Installation of LoadRunner
Well if you are reading this post, then you must be having a fair idea about what the LoadRunner software is and what it is used for. Now you must be having an urge to try out this software for testing your personal application, software, and website or may be for educational purpose. But before you try out this awesome software you have to get the installation files and also install it on your machine in a correct manner so that you don’t have to Google every now and then to solve out various problems. Well this post is there to help you out with the installation of LoadRunner on your machine.
Since LoadRunner is the most famous testing software currently used in the industry and is made by HP, it is obvious that it doesn’t come cheap. This software cost around $915,200 for 3 years (approx), which is whole lot of money for any individual or even for a testing company. But we can download a 10 day LoadRunner trial version to try out our hands on this software. One can download the trial version from here(http://www8.hp.com/us/en/software-solutions/software.html?compURI=1175451#.UCQSyZ3iaSE). After selecting the option to download, you will be required to fill a form and an email will be sent to your email account containing a link to download the software. The size of the software is around 3.78 GB. After you download the software, you are all ready to install the software but before that you have to make sure that your machine meets the required specifications as mentioned below:
The following prerequisite software needs to be installed:
- .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
- Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8 SP1 (or later)
- Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
- Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)
- Web Services Enhancements (WSE) 2.0 SP3 for Microsoft .NET Redistributable Runtime MSI
- Web Services Enhancements (WSE) 3.0 for Microsoft .NET Redistributable Runtime MSI
- Strawberry Perl 5.10.
Even if any of the above thing is missing, you don’t have to panic, because the LoadRunner installation wizard will download and install it for you if they are found missing. Now that is a cool feature.
Beyond those requirements there are certain other requirements that also have to be followed for the smooth running of LoadRunner.
The system requirements for VUGEN, CONTROLLER and ANALYSIS can be summed up as follows:
- The processor can be Intel Core, Pentium, Xeon, AMD or compatible with a minimum speed of 1 GHz and its recommended to have 2 GHz or above.
- Operating system ranges from Windows XP to Windows 7 with all versions between them, but to run VUGEN for recording purpose it has to be a 32-bit operating system.
- Memory should be minimum of 2GB and it is recommended to be 4GB or higher.
- The screen resolution should be around 1024 X 768.
- LoadRunner only supports Internet Explorer for the recording purposes.
- A minimum hard disk space of 2GB is required for it.
Similar type of requirements is also necessary for the Load Generator component of the LoadRunner but if you are using the Pentium processor, hyper threading function should be disabled (Details).
If your machine fulfils this requirement then you can further proceed for the installation part. Now unzip the downloaded file to any location of your choice and then search for the setup file. Clicking on it will load the installation wizard and you can follow the on-screen instructions to successfully install the LoadRunner on your machine. After installation start your program and get set to work.